Quin (Irish: Cuinche, meaning "five ways") is a village in southeast County Clare in Ireland. The village's main attraction, Quin Abbey, is open to the public, and although mostly ruined, much of the structure remains. The abbey was built on the foundations of an earlier Norman castle, and the foundations of its corner towers can still be seen. The name of the village is a reference in ancient Irish to the original five roads out of the village.
The countryside around the village of Quin has many archaeological remains, most notably the Franciscan friary. The first building that is known of on this site was a church, and then on the site de Clare built a castle in 1280 A.D. This was attacked and destroyed, the present church was built on the site (c.1350 A.D.), incorporating some parts of the castle ruins.
Quin is first mentioned as a village in the days of the Norman Castle which preceded the Abbey.
Quin Abbey was founded in 1433 and housed many Franciscan monks until 1820 when the last monk, Father Hogan, died. His Burial Site can be visited in the Abbey.
News of the Great Rebellion of 1641 was first announced in Co. Clare "at the great fair of Quin", which must have been a big event in the county of those days. Samuel Lewis, writing in 1837, gives the following description of Quin. "A parish in the barony of Bunratty, Co. of Clare, 5½ miles (S.E.) from Ennis, on the old road to Limerick; containing 2918 inhabitants, of which number 173 are in the village. It was anciently called Quint or Quinchy, where, about 1250, an abbey was founded, which was consumed by fire in 1278".
Knappogue Castle is three kms from Quin.
Some of the most important Prehistoric Gold works in Ireland were found in Mooghaun approximately 4kms from Quin. Unfortunately following the excitement and the scramble resulting from such a discovery, many of the objects were sold for trifling sums and many more were melted down for the value of the metal. If the Clare find had been preserved in its entirety it would have proved to be the largest collection of gold objects ever discovered in Europe. Casts were made of several objects and these have been preserved in the Royal Irish Academy.